Saturday, July 5, 2008

Independence Day 2008

Today was a very, very good Independence Day! I enjoyed being with my family and friends from sunrise to after the fireworks ended at night.

Melanie, Gma H, Wendy and I went to the Flag Ceremony at 7:00 a.m.. It was very well done. Our little Riverdale Band is growing and playing the National Anthem very well now. Our old friend and former Bishop Bryce Gibby gave a very stirring and memorable oration on Riverdale, Freedom, Liberty, etc. which was one of the best speeches I've ever heard at that event or on that topic actually. I'll try to post it later when I get an electronic copy of it. It would be worth reading and re-reading!

We helped Wendy set up her UDOT - Riverdale Road Project booth at the park following the flag ceremony. She was giving out info and free creamies to anyone who would stop and listen. She did a very professional job with it all as she usually does.

After the booth work, we came home to a breakfast of Swedish Pancakes that Melanie made, yummmmmmmmm!!!! Joey and Annie finally got up so we all ate them up and enjoyed them plenty.

Then, Jimmy's family and Jeremy joined us and we walked over by the Church and watched the parade. Gma, Joey, Jack and I found some shade at the Church and had a couple of camp chairs. We sat by the Hancock family. The parade was not exactly spectacular. I liked the flag going by and the jets that flew over and the fact that it was a short parade and we had a shady seat.

Some of us went up to the park to take the kids to the booths, etc. and check things out. Marlie and James did a couple of things, train ride, treats, etc. We enjoyed seeing many friends and people we know and like. It was especially great to see Pres. Carl Cook and Lynette and their family again after their 3-year mission president assignment in New Zealand.

After the park activity we just sort of hung around and relaxed at home. Wendy and Joey and I watched a DVD movie "Drill Bit Taylor" which Joey told Wendy to buy. It was sort of entertaining, and as Joey said, it saved me the cost of movie theater tickets?

Cody and Tiffani came over and we all got together again for a cook-out dinner. Jeremy is the designated grill-man. He did steaks, chicken breast, spare ribs, and hot dogs. Gma H brought some delicious potato salad and brownies, Cody brought some chips and Melanie added the rest. We ate on the deck in the 90+ degree shade, but we enjoyed it.

We visited and got set up in the front yard for fireworks. Cody and Jimmy brought some fun fireworks. Marlie and James liked them, Jack tolerated them for a while then retired to the safety of the living room with Amber.

The city fireworks were the fitting closing for a long but fun day. I really enjoyed being around all of the family today and having some food, some fun and just visiting and being with them. Since Jeremy starts his new railroad job next week and will be unable to go to Bear Lake as usual for our family vacation, this was probably the last get together with everybody for a while.

But it was a good one!

No comments: